Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growing as an artist

I participated in the 24 hour show at the Grafton Arts Mill and it was an important exercise for my personal growth as an artist.

The show involved paying $15 for a canvas. Picking up the canvas on Thursday and dropping off a finished piece by Friday. My painting then was part of a show and auction that happened Saturday night.

I really enjoyed taking part in this show. The process of preparing a project, picking up the canvas, completing the painting in the allotted time and then exhibiting it was really fun.

I approached the process like a game. I had those 24 hours and that was it. I had to finish. If this was a project I started on my own, I suspect the painting wouldn't be done. I'd procrastinate or allow my inner critic to dissuade me from finishing. Instead, I finished, I showed it and ... I sold it!

So, the process of preparing and painting was fun. I have been wanting to become a better painter and the only way to do that is to ... paint.  Sharing my art with the world is difficult and I did it and I survived. I was able to quiet my inner critic and enjoy the entire process. I think this is a struggle that many new and emerging artists experience. That fear of failure - fear of people not liking what we do - fear of criticism. Instead, I faced it and survived. Even posting this blog is a step in my process.

I've exhibited work and even sold work before but that was always collage. One of my wishes, for years and certainly for 2017, is to become a better painter. Participating in this 24 hour show has helped me get closer to succeeding at that goal. Thank you Grafton Arts Mill for hosting this very fun show!












3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! It's so hard to get up the guts to put yourself out there, but it is so much easier when a venue is so welcoming.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Angie! Way to get at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your piece were just lovely! Can't wait to see you next year!

    ReplyDelete