Sunday, April 28, 2013

Assemblage

I've been an admirer of assemblage art for some time and to me, the collages I create are my 2D versions of assemblage. I've tried some assemblage before and then recently hosted a swap at swapbot to create a 3D assemblage.

Assemblage consists of making three-dimensional or two-dimensional artistic compositions by putting together found objects. The swap was hosted in a group called "Sisters of the Holy Crap." I think you can imagine what that means. We all have lots of "art crap" - those little doo-dads and what nots that we save JUST IN CASE.

Turns out I have less crap for this type of creation than I thought. My crap is mostly paper, paint, ink, stamps. But, this is what I came up with.





I've been looking and looking and looking for a box type thing with shelves to use for this and I just couldn't find anything. Instead, I used this piece of old board. It's painted white, stamped, painted and then just embellished with my usual suspects including 3D pieces. I like how it turned out - it's about 12 inches long, 6 inches tall.  I wish I had more crap so looks like I'll have to go on a crap hunt! LOL. Yard sales, here I come!



My husband bought the last version of the video game Bioshock and he got all these extra things with his game. He and I bought some shadow box frames at the store and created these.


It was hard getting a good photo with the reflection from the glass, but you get the idea.

And here are a few that I made back in 2011 for a visual poetry project I was working on. I made these assemblages, photographed them, digitally altered the photographs and then compiled them into a booklet - 15 booklets that I sent out to 15 people around the globe. Oye, that was a lot of work and a lot of fun. I didn't preserve all the assemblages but have most of the parrot one and the small blue 4 x 4 square one ...





No comments:

Post a Comment