Monday, February 25, 2013

Writing with Scissors

A new book out sounds fabulous. I haven't seen it yet but I've requested it from my library. It sounds like a historic look and celebration of the scrapbook. I love the title - Writing with scissors.

Writing With Scissors, American Scrapbooks from the Civil War to the Harlem Renaissance. Ellen Gruber Garvey. Oxford University Press, 2013. Pp. 304. Softcover. $29.95 . ISBN 978-0199927692.

My mother used to keep scrapbooks. I especially liked her celebrity and travel scrapbooks. I used to love looking through her books - seeing the magazine pictures, articles, tickets, postcards and photos from her youth. 



Here's a review by Kevin Mac Donnell.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! The old scrapbook have a lot in common with altered books -- people reused old books in inventive ways to make them. There's more on that here: http://blog.oup.com/2012/05/writing-recording-with-scrapbooks-history/

    and another review here:

    http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2013/feb/20/scrapbook-nation/

    -- Ellen Gruber Garvey

    ReplyDelete